- Retro- blogging my first Kruger Park trip as well as my work trip to Zambia.
- More story-time. Haven't decided what yet, but probably something from college. Probably the time we almost derailed the train my senior year.
- Possible but not probable: a story of a rather singularly impactful memory from my childhood. Not really story-time material here, but I've been working on it and trying to figure out how to make it of value in posting.
- A Valentine's day special. For a change.
- What's currently on my reading wish-list.
Today, however, its time to play a game.
This one is called "Where will we send me on an awesome vacation?"
I'll start. I have 2 weeks of vaykay time that, for various reasons, I need to take sometime around end-of-March, beginning-of-April. I was going to climb Kilimanjaro but its too close to the rainy season to risk it, so that's out (sorry Bo, et. al.). Although now I've done all my research for that, so if I stick around ZA long enough, that's still going to happen. Anyway...
I have some rather unique considerations:
- I can go pretty much anywhere on the planet. I'll be starting out in LA and need to end up back in Johannesburg. So, wheter I go east or west from LA, I have pretty much everywhere as options.
- I don't want to spend much money. Not only am I on this pro-bono program for a little while longer, but experiences of late are leading me towards living a significantly less selfish lifestyle once my salary bumps back up anyway. I neither need nor want a multi-thousand-dollar vacation.
- I've never done a real beach / ocean vacation except for the surfing trips in Baja, which kind of don't count. I'm thinking through a few options here: Zanzibar, Morocco, Fiji, and Rio De Janeiro being the front runners right now.
- Climbing in New Zealand is also another front runner.
- There's a chance that some of you non-losers might still come to SA and we can do the Namibia, Botswana, ZA, Swaziland, Mozambique, and maybe Madagascar thing. As you can probably guess from the nature of this post, I'm not banking on that option.
- There's also a chance that none of this will happen because I might end up spending the whole time volunteering with relief work up in Uganda, which is what I'm really hoping pans out.
Disclaimers: 1. Formalities: This is a personal web-log. The opinions and information provided on this page are the sole responsibility of the author. These opinions do not represent the official statements or views of his employer, nor do they represent the views of any institution, corporation, or other organization. This blog and all its contents, in each of its parts and as a whole are copyright David Knowles, Jr., 2009. 2. Frivolities: This is a personal web-log. I'm relearning some HTML. Something not working? Shout out. Idea for improvement? Please provide. Surging, irresistible need to confess your undying love for the Dave? You may proceed.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."