A New Semester of Visual Notes
2 months ago
He did not wait till the world was ready
Till men and nations were at peace.
He came when the Heavens were unsteady,
And prisoners cried out for release.
He did not wait for the perfect time.
He came when the need was deep and great.
He dined with sinners in all their grime,
Turned water into wine. He did not wait
Till hearts were pure. In joy he came
To a tarnished world of sin and doubt.
To a world like ours, of anguished shame
He came, and his Light would not go out.
He came to a world which did not mesh,
To heal its tangles, shield its scorn.
In the mystery of the Word made Flesh
The Maker of the stars was born.
We cannot wait till the world is sane
To raise our songs with joyful voice,
For to share our grief, to touch our pain,
He came with Love: Rejoice! Rejoice!
- Madeleine L'Engle
1. In FF, click "Tools" on the main menu, then select "Extensions". This brings up your Extensions menu and shows you which ones didn't update (they're the shaded ones).
2. Mosey over to Mozilla's Extensions Site, and search keywords until you find that not-yet-updated extension. Right click on the download link and save the file to your desktop (do not install!).
3. Right click the file on your desktop, then select "Open with" and choose WinZip or whatever compression program you use (you can get WinZip here).
4. Find the file "install.rdf" and extract this file (and only this file) to your desktop. Right click the install.rdf file on your desktop, and select "Open with" and use WordPad or NotePad to view the file.
5. Scroll down through the jargon until you find the lines that start with "em:minVersion" and "em:maxVersion" (they'll have the normal "<" signs around them). For maxVersion, change the "1.0" to "1.6" in the text file and save it over the old version on your desktop.
6. Open up the WinZip (or other program) window, then drag the new "install.rdf" file from your desktop into that window (make sure you choose "Add and Replace" so that the file is replaced. Close the WinZip window.
7. Now open up FireFox, and simply drag the new extension file from your desktop onto FF - anywhere on FF will work - like over this very page for example.
8. Watch it install, restart FF, and check to see if it worked for you.
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise.
In your good pleasure make Zion prosper;
build up the walls of Jerusalem.
Then there will be righteous sacrifices,
whole burnt offerings to delight you;
then bulls will be offered on your altar.
- Ps. 51
It is so far from being true that [salvation by grace alone] makes us remiss in a pious and holy life, that on the contrary without it we would never do anything out of love to God, but only out of self-love or fear of damnation. Therefore, it is impossible that this holy faith can be unfruitful; for we...speak of a faith which is called in Scripture a 'faith working through love,' which excites us to the practice of those works which God has commanded in His Word.... [Otherwise] we would always be in doubt, tossed to and fro without any certainty, and our poor consciences would be continually vexed if they relied not on the merits of our Savior. - The Belgic Confession (1561) Chapter 24
Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
True believers may have the assurance of their salvation divers ways shaken, diminished, and intermitted; as, by negligence in preserving of it, by falling into some special sin which woundeth the conscience and grieveth the Spirit; by some sudden or vehement temptation, by God's withdrawing the light of his countenance, and suffering even such as fear him to walk in darkness and to have no light: yet are they never utterly destitute of that seed of God, and life of faith, that love of Christ and the brethren, that sincerity of heart, and conscience of duty, out of which, by the operation of the Spirit, this assurance may, in due time, be revived; and by the which, in the meantime, they are supported from utter despair. - Westminister Confession of Faith, 17.4
One of the really surprising things about the present bewilderment of humanity is that the Christian Church now finds herself called upon to proclaim the old and hated doctrine of sin as a gospel of cheer and encouragement. The final tendency of the modern philosophies has been that the influences of heredity and environment, of glandular make-up Â the unconsciousÂ and the mechanisms of biological development bind us fast in the chains of an iron determinism. The dreadful conclusion is that, while we are not responsible for evil, we cannot alter it. If we could really be persuaded that we are miserable sinnersÂthat the trouble is not outside us but inside us, and that therefore, by the grace of God, we can do something to put it right, we should receive that message as the most hopeful and heartening thing that can be imagined. - Dorothy Sayers